rejoyceinsewing

Elegantly beautiful sewing and creating


Leave a comment

Captain America Children`s Backpack

Just finished up a new bag for my son! The pattern I have used is Simplicity 8108, the licensed Avengers home sewing pattern. My son is a huge Avengers fan,  and just needed the bag.

Now, I’m never a fan of following directions, so after cutting out the pattern, I put them away. Everything had to be done in chunks,  and i stitched all three layers together at the same time (outer layer,  padding, and lining). To make sure that there were no raw edges,  i bound them all with black bias tape.

A few things i would do differently next time would be to not sew the zipper teeth so close to the fabric, and to haul out my heavy duty machine (I was being a little lazy about pulling out different machines today).

Total supply costs were about $30. I put in about 7 hours of work, which includes cutting fabric and pressing. Everything was done on the machine, which definitely saved time.

image

image

image

image

image

image

Advertisements


Leave a comment

Project five: Elizabethan Men’s pleated hat

Good morning! I bring to you project five for this year, the men’s Elizabethan pleated hat, from the Tudor Tailor book. This is part of my St Valentine’s Day Massacre outfits for my boyfriend and I.

The rundown:

Pattern: Elizabethan Men’s hat from Tudor Tailor.
Fabrics used: buckram, domette (otherwise known as black cotton flannel), black velvet (100% acetate), red silk (yes, 100% silk)
Notions: millinery wire, thread
Hours to complete: approximately 10
Total cost: approximately $15 usd. Much of this was pulled from the stash, or things purchased in bulk for other projects.
First worn: St Valentine’s Day massacre 2015 (February 14, 2015)

image

image

image

image

image

image

image


Leave a comment

Goals for the New Year

This year, I aim to finish at least 52 projects. I’ve got for done so far. The first one done was my purple sideless surcote.

image

image

This was 100% hand sewn, flat lined in linen. Next was my son’s new shirt

image

image

After that was a fluffy chemise

image

And then there was a firm fitting chemise. I don’t have a picture of that, but there you go. 4/52 so far. Working on a plaid skirt tonight, and I’ve got a green and purple silk pouch. After that I’ll try to finish a couple of my designs, and my special surprise for Christopher. Lots to do, and a whole year to do it! Happy sewing friends!


Leave a comment

Pentamere 12th Night

Currently, I’m working on a new dress for 12th Night on January 3ed. This one is a Tudor French gown. Soooooo fantastic! I could use the pattern simplicity made, or the one by the Tudor Tailor, but really I’m just gonna wing it this time. My kirtle will be a modified version of the Tudor Tailor one. As for my hood…. I’m still undecided. I haven’t picked out any specific hood yet. I love the gable hoods but the French hoods are fantastic too! My fabric: gold taffeta wroth fleur De Lis embroidered on it, with a ribbon lattice work and beads. Basicially: my fabric was too plain and the embroidery was too small so I added some embellishments and then I decided it needed a bit of insanity too. The sleeves are fur lined. My main sources:
Apparently no longer on my phone. Catherine Parr’s red and gold gown with fur sleeves. And there are a couple of effigy statues that have my gown style on it as well. I’ll post my source pictures with my next progress post.

Additionally, the little boy will be getting a new doublet, breeches, and lose over gown. And a new cap as his old one is too small. And turn shoes if I have time 🙂


Leave a comment

Malcontent in the Knight household.

And it all stems from me. I’m a little frustrated with my lack of finished projects this year. My goal was one a week, and I just did not stick to it. The new year is right around the corner and then it will be time for a new resolution. Any suggestions, my faithful followers?

For the end of the year, my project line up is as follows: 12th night gown, Lolita Wars dress, punk pirate outfit, sideless surcote, 2 quilts (one is just in need of finishing), my son’s mike the Knight costume, winter fencing jerkin, and my son’s Christmas jammies set. Most of these projects are half started. My last of projects to work on after this are as follows: shirts and skirts for work, Belle, Pinkie Pie, Elsa themed party dress, St Lucia styled lolita dress, new outfit for St. Valentines Day massacre (sca event), Tudor and Elizabethan underpinnings, (2) Victorian outfits for a weekend getaway in May, and whatever other projects I have laying around that need finishing. Maybe next year I’ll do a bi – weekly sewing challenge, draw a different theme every two weeks and finish it within my time constraint. Sounds fun to me  🙂 I’m currently working on getting pictures uploaded of my sewing supplies, as soon as that’s done I’ll have a tools of the trade blog up for your viewing pleasure! Good night!


Leave a comment

Sideless Surcote, part one

So I’ve had this lovely eggplant colored linen laying around, and decided I needed to make a 100% hand sewn sideless surcote. This is my first A & S project, and while nothing will ever be 100% accurate, this is pretty darn close. It is a linen blend fabric, flat lined with 100% cotton muslin (not accurate for a lining) each seam is hand sewn (something I’m not very good at) and each seam is flat felled.

image

image

While I think it looks a little messy, I’m still happy with the outcome so far!